John Perrotta’s background in the bloodstock industry dates back to the early 1980s when he chose Hill ‘n’ Dale Farm’s John Sikura to represent Due Process with their first foray into the sales arena.
A record setting final auction price of $4.6 million for It’s In The Air, in foal to Seattle Slew, coupled with Special Account’s hammer price of $2.6 million combined with an elite offering to make Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency the 1984 leading consignor at the Keeneland November Mixed Bloodstock sale in Lexington Kentucky. John and John continued to enjoy collaborative success over the next two decades, including their co-breeding of 1997’s Belmont Stakes winner, Touch Gold.
Other Perrotta-breds include regional champion War’s Prospect as well as stakes horses Rolled Up, Bullet Blade, Royal Vindication, All of Her Twist and Phil the Power and Taman Guard.
Notable Racing/Breeding successes include:
- Deputy Minister – multiple times leading stallion/broodmare sire -purchased in 1981
- Dehere – 1993 Eclipse Award winning champion – bred for Due Process
- Open Mind – 1988 & 1989 Eclipse Award winning champion – bred for Due Process
- Rampage – 1999 Arkansas Derby winner – bred for Due Process
In 1996 Perrotta’s Star Bloodstock Agency brokered the sale and placement of Forest Wildcat at Fred Seitz’s Brookdale Farm in Versailles, Kentucky where the son of Storm Cat would sire the winners of over $34 million. Other stallion syndications include Dehere, Defrere, Violado, Numerous, and Crafty Friend.
6 STEPS FOR THOROUGHBRED SUCCESS…
- Evaluation of your degree of participation desired to determine which scenario is most suitable: co-ownership, partnership, syndicate or individual stable ownership.
- Planning and preparing a business or “game plan” suited to the individual.
- Acquisition of breeding stock, race horses or farm land.
- Preparation for future use, be it mares to be re-sold, foals or yearlings to be pinhooked, yearlings to two year-olds to be readied for the track or older horses to be managed.
- Execution of the “game plan” by a team of carefully prepared professionals, all in tune with the ultimate goals.
- Follow up and management support suited for changing times.